
In early 2019 we began renovating a waterfront property which required a septic system upgrade to handle both human and greywater waste more effectively whilst being substantially more sympathetic to its natural surrounds. Keeping in mind our 10-year campaign to attract environmentally conscious visitors wishing to experience the rare natural gamut of what our nature accommodation sanctuaries offer was bearing fruit, we also wanted to future-proof our dwellings by shifting the purpose of existing waste infrastructure, but avoid the environmental impact of decommissioning what we originally acquired.
Therefore, our prerequisites were obvious—the system(s) had to be the most environmentally apposite without the need for harsh chemicals or constant maintenance; ‘the availability of such, was not so.’ But while researching suitable types for our above needs, Willie (our Construction Manager), discovered a novel worm-farm system available in other states by A & A Worm Farms that could meet all our requirements—as well as—the additional bene?t of coping with the disposal of environmental weeds accumulated from our regular environmental restorations (wildlife habitat initiative); unfortunately, the system was not yet approved in Tasmania.


The next step, was to rectify this situation and have this extreme green and fabulously efficient system approved by our local Kingborough Council. So, with a few phone-calls and subsequent emails between all parties concerned, we are ecstatic to announce the first two Worm Farm waste managers of their type in Tasmania!




Weed invasion is one of the largest threats against ecosystems all around the world; and unfortunately, BrunyIsland.au is not immune to this threat.
BBC Travel visits Bruny Island to view the Southern Lights.
Cape Bruny Light keepers have been doing battle with nature since 1838. Tending the light to ensure that maritime travellers did not meet the same grisly end as so many before them had done, it was an arduous and unrelenting life.
Cloudy Bay was initially named l’baie Mauvaise by French explorer Bruni D'Entrecasteaux in 1792, after 1822 it was marked on the maps of the time as Bad Bay, and after 1859 became known as Bad or Cloudy Bay.
For one man, a series of events set in place a journey that would ultimately lead him to Bruny Island, Tasmania. His name is George Dibbern.